Annette Ruzicka Bio
I bought a bag one day at a market. It was covered with patches of Australian endangered species, environmental messages and made of recycled bits and bobs such as a seatbelt for an arm strap. Pretty much why I bought the thing. One particular patch caught my eye, it said "when you pull a string in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world." This is true of my views and values, and is the purpose behind my work.
After nearly a decade working in the environment sector and spending time amongst Australia's magical landscapes and people, my fate was sealed. But my work is not just about environmental issues or nature itself, it's about getting to the heart of people and being true to who they are, being respectful of their culture and what they represent - not just my take on things.
I am an award-winning visual storyteller covering both stills and multimedia production based in Melbourne, Australia. My work has been published in Australian Geographic, the London Sunday Times, Good Weekend, The Guardian and Outback Magazine. Clients include the University of Melbourne, Bush Heritage Australia, Sustainability Victoria, City of Melbourne, The Wilderness Society, Australian Conservation Foundation, Country Needs People and Foundation House.
- CLIP Award - Finlaist - 2020
- Monochrome Awards - Highly Commended - 2019
- Olive Cotton Portrait Award 2019 - FINALIST
- Australasia's Emerging Photographer Of The Year 2018 - Runner Up (Documentary)
- Pro Photo Of The Year 2017 - TOP 30
- Emerging Photographer of the year 2017 - WINNER
- International Colour Awards - Honourable Mention - 2017
- National Photographic Portrait Prize Finalist - 2016
- Australian Photography Awards Finalist - 2016 (portrait)
- Spider Black and White Awards Finalist – 2016
- 2016 Photographer of the Year – Commended (landscape)
- Olive Cotton Finalists show, Tweed Regional Gallery - 2019
- Loud and Luminous - Group show - 2019
- My Father’s Runners – Solo show – 2018 (Sydney and Melbourne)
- Wild Australia - Geographical Society – London, UK – 2018
- SUNSTUDIOS Emerging Photographers - Finalists - 2017
- Beyond Borders II – Ballarat International Photo Biennale - 2017
- Make It Personal – group show – 2016
- National Photographic Portrait Prize – Finalists - 2016
- Ian Parry Scholarship 2016 – Finalists - London, UK